Woodhouse  St Mark SE 295351

Return to Other Churches

History

Built by architects Atkinson and Sharp in 1823-26 with large west tower. 

Bells

Two bells - one hung for swinging and the other hung stationary from a girder - both are used by the clock.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Thomas Mears 1826 3cwt 25.75" Ab
2 Unknown 1900? 10cwt 38.375" sharp of G

Inscriptions

1:    T. Mears of London Fecit 1826

2:    blank

Frame and Fittings

The small bell hangs in a wooden frame from a wooden headstock with iron chiming lever.  There are two clock hammers - one from a previous clock and the other associated with the present clock.

The large bell hangs from a girder across the north east corner of the tower and has two clock hammers - one for the quarters and one for the hour.

Clock

A three train clock by Potts of Leeds 1900.  The quarter chiming train has been dismantled but formerly sounded ting-tang quarters on the two bells.  This may have been a most unpleasant sound as the bells are nearly a semitone more than an octave apart!!!

Sources

ARA 2004