West Witton  St Bartholomew  SE 062885

Back to Wensley Deanery

History

Largely rebuilt in 1875 by Atkinsons.  Small west tower which was heightened at this time.

Bells

A peal of three bells hung for full circle ringing and two ancient disused bells.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1904 3-1-23 25.5" D#
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1904 4-1-17 28.4375" C#
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1904 6-1-5 32.25" B
d1   C12   18.875" G
d2   1545   19.375" G? cracked

Inscriptions

Treble:

Shoulder:                 260

IB:        Glory to God in the highest

W:        THIS BELL WAS GIVEN BY
             WILLIAM JOHN WHALEY
                    * EASTER 1904 *

RW:              [Taylor Shield]

Second:

Shoulder:                238

IB:        * There shall be upon the bells, HOLINESS TO THE LORD

W:        WILLIAM WHALEY   *   VICAR
            JOHN B WHALEY       *   CURATE
            J. SMORTHWAITE      *
            A. H. KING                   *   CHURCHWARDENS

RW:    THIS BELL WAS GIVEN
              BY SUBSCRIPTION
                 * EASTER 1904 *

Tenor:

Shoulder:            182

W:    TO THE GLORY OF GOD
           AND IN MEMORY OF
      THOMAS ROBINSON KING
       WHO DIED JUNE 5TH 1901.
         THIS BELL IS THE GIFT
      OF HIS WIDOW, ANNE KING
              * EASTER 1904*

RW:            [Taylor Shield]

The disused treble is blank.

Disused Tenor:

IB:     + A B C D + E F G + O

This is an example of an "alphabet bell".  A semi-literate bell founder in possession of a set of letter stamps may well use what little learning he had to produce, for him, the most important aspect of knowing one's letters: the alphabet.

Frame and Fittings

The ringing bells hang in a cast-iron H frame mounted diagonally across the tower.  They are a complete installation by Taylors in 1904 and include plain bearings with Heywood lubricators and Hastings stays.  The two disused bells hang on display in a steel frame.

Sources

ARA 2007

RWMC 1991