Upper Armley Christ Church SE 265337
Return to Armley Deanery
The foundation stone was laid on October 1st 1869 by Mrs W E Gott of Armley House, the church was consecrated on 19th January 1872. The architects were Messrs Adams and Kelly of Park Row , Leeds. The imposing west tower is 117 feet tall and is 26 feet square at the base.
A peal of eight bells hung for full circle ringing. The original six were opened on Tuesday 13th February 1872 and the tenor was given as being 17cwt. In 1922 the bells were rehung, retuned and augmented to eight by the addition of two trebles; the frame being extended, in wood, on the east side to accommodate the two trebles.
|1||John Taylor of Loughborough||1922||4-3-4||27.5"||F|
|2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1922||5-0-20||28.5"||E|
|3||John Taylor of Loughborough||1872||5-3-19||31.5"||D|
|4||John Taylor of Loughborough||1872||6-3-19||33.5"||C|
|5||John Taylor of Loughborough||1872||7-2-5||35.875"||B flat|
|6||John Taylor of Loughborough||1872||8-2-13||37.475"||A|
|7||John Taylor of Loughborough||1871||11-2-19||41.875"||G|
|8||John Taylor of Loughborough||1871||15-2-22||45.5"||F|
The tenor is pictured below.
1. 186 19[T]22
2. 173 19[T]22
3. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1872.
4. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1872.
5. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1872.
6. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1872.
7. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1871.
8. J : TAYLOR & Co FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1871.
Frame and Fittings
Hung in a wooden frame with all bells swinging N-S. Cast iron headstocks, traditional stays and sliders dating from the 1922 augmentation.
A three train clock by Potts 1881 - now electrified with synchronous motor.
ARA visited c2000