thorner St Peter  SE 380405 

Back to Deanery of Whitkirk

History

Medieval tower and west end but the rest mostly rebuilt by Mallinson and Healey in 1855.

Bells

Eight bells hung for full circle ringing.  Regrettably the two trebles were cast old-style and are too strident for the back six.  Tonally they do not compare well with the six at Kirk Deighton nor the eight at Pontefract  All Saints both of similar vintage.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1965 3-0-26 24" G
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1965 3-3-3 25.5" F sharp
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 4-3-14 28.5" E
4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 5-1-9 30.5" D
5 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 6-0-25 32.875" C
6 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 6-2-12 33.5" B
7 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 7-2-20 36.5" A
8 John Taylor of Loughborough 1864 10-0-27 40.75" G

Inscriptions

List of

Frame and Fittings

The bells were rehung in a two tier cast iron frame in 1965 when they were made into eight.  They hang from modern fittings.

Sources

List of sources/date of visit