staveley All Saints SE 362627
Return to Harrogate Deanery
Built in 1864 by J Lowe.
Three steel bells. The treble is hung for full circle ringing and the other two for swing chiming. Poppleton indicates that the two original bell metal bells, which must have hung in the previous church, were sold - whether for recasting or to be hung elsewhere is not clear.
|1||Naylor Vickers of Sheffield||1864||26"|
|2||Naylor Vickers of Sheffield||1864||24"|
|3||Naylor Vickers of Sheffield||1864||24"|
STAVELEY (All Saints). Three bells.
These are steel bells, by Naylor, Vickers & Co., of Sheffield, and were hung in 1864, in place of two old metal bells, which were sold.
Frame and Fittings
The treble has a wooden headstock, full wheel, stay and slider and is in every sense hung traditionally for full circle ringing. Bells 2 and 3 are hung from metal headstocks with small metal wheels and, though they could be swung right up, are best described as being hung for swing-chiming. The frame is wooden and the whole installation appears to date from the building of the church in 1864. The mystery is why one bell should be hung differently from the others.
Yorkshire The West Riding - Nikolas Pevsner and Enid Ratcliffe [2nd edition]
ARA visit October 1998