harrogate St Wilfrid  SE 294556

Return to Harrogate Deanery

History

Large cruciform church built by Temple Moore from 1905-14 and added to by his nephew-in-law Leslie Moore from 1924 to 1935.  Squat central tower with two small east towers flanking the chancel.  The original design was to have included a tall tower with broach spire to the north of the crossing the base of which forms the organ chamber.

Bells

A peal of eight bells hung for full-circle ringing in the central tower and a single bell with full-circle fittings hung in the south east tower.  The back six were recast from bells rescued from High Hoyland church in the Wakefield Diocese. The second is a recasting of the former treble of the eight at All Saints, Sculcoates, Hull, and the treble was recast from a bell which formerly hung in St Benedict's, Lincoln.  It weighed 7cwt. 3qrs. 1lb., had a diameter of 34" and was inscribed: Sta Catarina Ora Pro Nobis.  This bell had been obtained from the Whitechapel bellfoundry and was originally intended for a church in Fiji.  The installation of these bells was largely due to the efforts of Ronald H Dove author of  "A Bellringer's Guide to the Church Bells of Britain."

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1976 1-3-24 19.5" C
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1976 2-0-0 20" B
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 2-0-17 21" A
4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 2-2-14 22.5" G
5 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 2-3-17 24" F
6 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 3-1-9 25.5" E
7 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 4-1-20 28" D
8 John Taylor of Loughborough 1973 6-0-3 31" C
S John Warner 1914 3cwt 25" E

Inscriptions

1    IB:    J. TAYLOR & CO FOUNDERS 1868
    Waist:    CANON M.R.J. MANTEKLOW  VICAR
                    JOHN R. GOLDING
                    JOHN N. ADDISON    CHURCHWARDENS
                    RONALD H. DOVE     BELFRY CAPTAIN
    Reverse:        [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
                            RECAST 1976

2    IB:    JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD 1899
    Waist:                    "PEACE"
               RING OUT THE THOUSAND WARS OF OLD
               RING IN THE THOUSAND YEARS OF PEACE
    Reverse:        [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
                            RECAST 1976

3    Waist:    19 [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO] 72
    Reverse:        E.K.  E.M.K.

4    Waist:    19 [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO] 72

5    Waist:     [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO]
    Reverse:    JENKIN AND BETTY COLES
                                        1972

6    Waist:        [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO]
    Reverse:            AHL  DH
                                1972

7    Waist:    19 [TAYLOR LOUGHBORO] 72
    Reverse:    GABRIELLE EDGECOMBE
                        OCTOBER 18TH 1945

8    Waist:    (TAYLOR LOUGHBORO)
                            1972
    Reverse:    H.P.E.F. 1931- 1965

Sanctus Bell:
    IB:  JOHN WARNER & SONS, FOUNDERS  LONDON
    [Border of vine leaves.]
    Waist:             A : M: D: G:  DONO DEDERVNT
                            ELEANOR BEATRICE}
                                 ALICE JOSEPHINE}   BAXTER
                IN FEST ANN B.M.V.  MCMXIV  CVM VOCO
                                AD TEMPLVM VENITE


The inscription on the waist is incised.

Frame and Fittings

The peal of eight hang in the roof space of the central tower in a wooden frame with all eight bells swinging north-south.  There is provision at the west side to add two more bells.  The frame is mounted on  RSJs the two largest of which were already fixed into the tower walls before the current peal of bells was installed.  The bells hang from metal headstocks and modern fittings dating from their installation in the 1970s.  The two tenors have cast-iron headstocks but those on the other bells are 2" square bar.  The stays and sliders are of traditional form.  The wheels have softwood centres.

The single bell is hung from parallel girders with a cast iron headstock inscribed "WARNER LONDON" and full wheel but no stay and slider.  There is on the tower floor a chiming lever which fits neatly into the stay socket and I suspect the full wheel only dates from the 1970s when consideration was given to installing a peal of bells - the original plan was to put five bells in the SE tower using the Warner bell as the tenor and the wheel would have given the opportunity to test the tower for full-circle ringing.

Poppleton

HIGH HOYLAND  (All Saints). Six bells.

1.    T MEARS OF LONDON FECIT  1822

2.    INCIPE MUSA PRIOR  1745

3.    CANAMVS DOMINO  1745

4.    TE DEUM LAUDAMUS  1745

5.    GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO  1745

6.    CUM SONO BUSTA MORI CUM PULPITA VIVERE DISCE 1745

(lower)      THO DAWSON     RECTORS

                 THO MALBON         

                 IOHN BURTON     CURATE

                 IOHN SWAINE      CHURCHWARDENS

                 MAT WHITE

All the bells [except the treble] have {E Seller Ebor} with frieze of bells.

The tenor has also another band, with {E Seller Ebor}

 

Sources

ARA visited July 2003

Lincolnshire Bells and Bellfounders - John R Ketteringham

A Bellringers Guide to the Church Bells of Britain (5th Edition) - Ronald Hammerton Dove

Yorkshire The West Riding - Nikolas Pevsner and Enid Ratcliffe [2nd edition]