high harrogate St Peter  SE 302553

Return to Harrogate Deanery

History

Built by Hirst in 1870-71 the tower, part of the original plan, was not built until 1926 though to a less elaborate design than originally envisaged.

Bells

A peal of eight bells hung for full-circle ringing. Rung from the second-floor ringing room above the south-west porch. They were dedicated on 22nd September 1963.  This would have been the first ringing in Harrogate for over 50 years since the demise of the bells at Low Harrogate.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 3-3-2 25" G
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 4-0-4 26" F sharp
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 4-1-2 27" E
4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 4-2-6 28.5" D
5 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 5-3-7 31" C
6 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 6-1-24 32.625" B
7 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 8-2-2 36" A
8 John Taylor of Loughborough 1963 12-1-19 40" G

Inscriptions

All 8 bells are inscribed:  JOHN TAYLOR & CO.  *  FOUNDERS  *  LOUGHBOROUGH  *  1963  *

In addition the tenor has on its waist:

ROGER HOLFORD BAINES        VICAR

JACK DRURY                           )   CHURCHWARDENS

GILBERT ARTHUR STONE     )      

Previous Bell

There are the remains of a wooden frame above the current eight and a clapper 24" long is in the ringing chamber.  A plaque on the stairs door reads:

THIS PLAQUE

COMMEMORATES THE ORIGINAL BELL

WHICH WAS INSCRIBED

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND AS A THANKS OFFERING TO HIM

FOR THE RECOVERY OF HEALTH

THIS BELL IS PRESENTED TO

ST PETERS CHURCH, HARROGATE

BY ELIZABETH TIMM, EASTER A D 1879

Frame and Fittings

A low-side cast-iron frame with modern fittings by Taylors dating from 1963.  This is in the usual 2-4-2 arrangement with the tenor in the middle.  The bells have plain stays and sliders.

Sources

Francis Frith's Around Harrogate - Clive Hardy

ARA visited 2005