Spennithorne St Michael SE 137889
Back to Wensley Deanery
Medieval church mostly from the Decorated period with large west tower.
Three bells hung for full-circle ringing but no longer in ringable condition.
|1||Peter Wood of Thirsk||1681||29.875"||D|
|3||Unidentified - attribute to "IR"||1664||34.5"||B|
1: IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1681
2: RECAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1890.
WILLIAM APPLETON OF HIS OWN CHARGE MADE THIS BELL
C. E. WYVILL - RECTOR
GEORGE FARROW ) CHURCHWARDENS
3: FILI DEI MISEREM EI 1664 GL HI LL [two fleurs de lis]
Frame and Fittings
A large frame which almost fills this large tower. The wheels are unusual both in their large diameter and arrangement of spokes. There is evidence in the form of notches in the frame ends which suggests even larger wheels may once have been fitted. There is quite a variety of iron-work attaching the bells to their headstocks. The tenor, pictured below, shows some of the idiosyncrasies of this installation.
There are Ellacombe hammers on all three bells and a clock hammer to the tenor. The rope holes in the vaulted ceiling to the ground floor have been cemented over but not before the ropes were completely removed - there are the remains of two pom-pom ropes dangling from the church ceiling!
A two train clock by Potts of Leeds - 1908.