sharow St John  SE 328722

Back to Ripon Deanery

History

Built in 1824/25 by George Knowles.

Bells

Eight bells hung for full circle ringing.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 J Warner 1871 4-3-2 27" G
2 J Warner 1871 4-3-8 28.25" F Sharp
3 T Mears 1824 5-1-27 29.5" E
4 T Mears 1824 5-3-9 31.25" D
5 T Mears 1824 6-1-27 33.375" C
6 T Mears 1824 7-1-15 64.75" B
7 T Mears 1824 8-3-27 38.25" A
8 T Mears 1824 12-0-5 42.5" G

Inscriptions

1: IB:      CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1871.
W:                                    [crest] PATENT

2: IB:      CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1871.
W:                                    [crest] PATENT

3:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

4:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

5:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

6:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

7:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

8:    T Mears of London Fecit 1824. [ornament]

Frame and Fittings

The bells were rehung and retuned by Taylors of Loughborough in 1929 but put back in the old wooden frame.  In 1961 the frame was replaced but no further work done to the bells.  Cast-iron low-side frame with all modern gear including Hastings stays.

Sources

ARA February 2010