pool St Wilfrid  SE 244452

Back to Harrogate Deanery

History

Built in 1839 by Chantrell with west tower and broach spire.

Bell

A single bell hung for full circle ringing.  It retains its six angular canons.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Warner 1861   26" f

Inscription

IB:    JOHN WARNER & SONS  LONDON  1861.

Frame and Fittings

A wooden frame - low sided with end posts.  Full wheel, traditional stay and slider and plain bearings.  The timbers of the frame show evidence that they are reused and this may indicate an earlier bell.

Clock

A synchronous motor drives the single dial on the east face of the tower.

Sources

Yorkshire The West Riding - Nikolas Pevsner and Enid Ratcliffe [2nd edition]

ARA visit February 2003