nidd St Paul and St Margaret SE 301608
Return to Harrogate Deanery
Built in 1866 by Healey - possible thirteenth century work in the porch.
A peal of five bells formerly hung for full-circle ringing but now for chiming only.
|1||Mears & Stainbank||1867||G|
|2||Mears & Stainbank||1867||F|
|3||Mears & Stainbank||1867||E|
|4||Mears & Stainbank||1867||D|
|5||Mears & Stainbank||1867||6-0-19||C|
NIDD (St. Paul). Five bells.
MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1867
On the tenor, in addition-
THIS PEAL OF FIVE BELLS
WHEN SHE REBUILT THE CHURCH
There were formerly two bells, but at the time of the rebuilding only one.
Frame and Fittings
The bells hang from wooden deadstocks in the original ringing frame. They are fitted with Ellacombe hammers which are operated from the first floor chamber. The conversion to chiming was carried out in the early 1980s by the Whitechapel bellfoundry.
A two train flat bed clock by Potts of Leeds in 1880. It strikes the hours on the tenor bell.
List of sources/date of visit