muker St Mary SD 910979
Back to Richmond Deanery
Built as a Chapel of Ease to Grinton in 1580 with the west tower added in the C18.
Three bells hung for swing chiming: two in the belfry and a small bell in the clock chamber. The pair of older bells predate the church by three centuries and may have come from nearby Ellerton or Marrick Priories at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. They may have hung in a turret at Muker before the present tower was completed. The small bell is from the former Church of England School in Muker which closed in 1979.
None of the bells is inscribed. The cabled canons of the older bells being the only sign of ornamentation.
Frame and Fittings
The two thirteenth century bells hang from wooden headstocks with plain bearings, wooden chiming levers and internal club-shaped clappers. The treble has an external clock hammer. The frame consists of three separate braces: a modern one to the north and two others made up of timbers of different ages including possibly medieval short heads.
The small bells, used as a sanctus bell, hangs in a newly made wooden frame with wooden headstock, ball bearings and a steel chiming lever with counter weight.
A two-train clock by Potts of Leeds which was installed to commemorate the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911. Two dials; one on the south and one on the west of the tower. The hours are struck on the treble bell. The clock and dials were refurbished in 2002.
List of sources/date of visit