MOOR ALLERTON St John the Evangelist SE 307393
Return to Allerton Deanery
Built in 1853 by Joseph Thompson and enlarged in 1889. Small west tower and spire.
One bell hung for full circle ringing though not currently used. The frame and rope holes from a set of tubular bells are evident.
|1||John Warner of London||1853||3cwt||24"||F#|
JOHN WARNER & SONS CRESCENT FOUNDRY LONDON 1853
Frame and Fittings
Wooden frame, wooden headstock and all gear original to the 1853 bell. Alongside this frame stands a four-legged frame which used to contain a set of tubular bells. These were presumably from the Coventry firm of Messrs. Harrington, Latham & Co. who were manufacturing tubular bells from 1894 until the First World War. They are not mentioned in Ronald Dove's guide so may have been removed before 1950.
A two-train clock by Potts of Pudsey dated 1862 (the year in which they moved from Pudsey to Leeds) is situated in the first floor chamber but is now disused - it used to drive a dial on the south side of the tower and strike the hours on the bell. The former function has been taken over by a synchronous drive unit and the bell is now completely unused. A recording of bells is broadcast from three horn speakers attached to the old tubular bells frame.
ARA August 2011