Methley St Oswald SE 391266
Back to Deanery of Whitkirk
This largely fourteenth and fifteenth century church was heavily restored in 1876.
Three bells hung for ringing. They are of the Squat shape associated with some of Harrison's work producing deep notes for their weights.
|1||James Harrison II||1813||39"||F#|
|2||James Harrison II||1813||42.75"||E|
|3||James Harrison II||1813||14-1-12||47.875"||D|
1. IB: 1813
2. IB: 1813
3. IB: JAMES HARRISON OF BARTON UPON HUMBER FOUNDER 1813 [ornament]
Frame and Fittings
The above picture shows the treble and second in the foreground with the tenor behind. Hung for full-circle ringing in a wooden frame with a cast-iron brace in the end of the tenor pit. All the bells are without canons and are suspended from their wooden headstocks by bolts passing through their crowns. Hoop gudgeons and plain bearings. Traditional stays and sliders (the stays of bells one and three are broken). The full wheels are in very good condition. All the gear dates from 1902 when the bells were rehung by Whites of Appleton, Oxfordshire.
A Two train clock striking the hours on the tenor.
METHLEY (St. Oswald). Three bells.
1. JAMES HARRISON OF BARTON ON HUMBER FOUNDER 1813
2 & 3. 1813
At the Survey of 1552 there were three bells.
There is a tradition that when, in the early part of the seventeenth century, the Savile family removed from Stainland to Methley, the bells from Stainland chapel were also removed to Methley.
ARA visited August 2004
Information fro Christopher Pickford - email 01/08/2005