leeming St John the Baptist SE 293893
Back to Wensley Deanery
The present building dates from 1839 though a chapel is known to have existed on this site from the fifteenth century. The west tower was added in 1912 and is a graceful composition of brick with stone dressings.
Eight tubular bells and a single clock bell.
|T1||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||60.625"||3.5"||C#|
|T2||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||62.25"||3.5"||B#|
|T3||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||66.5"||3.5"||A#|
|T4||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||70.75"||3.5"||G#|
|T5||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||75.875"||3.5"||F#|
|T6||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||77.625"||3.5"||E#|
|T7||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||82.75"||3.5"||D#|
|T8||Harrington Latham and Company||c1912||91.375"||3.75"||C#|
|1||C & G Mears||1844||1cwt||17.5"||C#|
The clock bell is inscribed:
C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1844
Frame and Fittings
The eight tubes hang from a square wooden frame in the centre of the tower with bells 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the west side and the others on the east. The clock bell hangs from one of the lower members of the frame below the second tube. The tubes are fitted with hammers operated from a rack in the clock chamber. The clock bell has an external clock hammer.
A two-train clock supplied by Potts of Leeds 1916. It was made by Haycock of Ashbourne, Derbyshire, and has Graham's Deadbeat Escapement.
ARA February 2012