LEEDS St Philip
Wellington Street, LEEDS
Return to Lost Churches
History & Bells
The Incorporated Church Building Society approved a grant in 1845-48 for the building of a new church also known as St Philip Bean Ing. In the above plan the base of the tower can be seen at the (liturgical) south of the building.
"The church, in Wellington street, erected in 1846-7 at a cost of £5,000 on a site given by Messrs. GOTT, is a building in the Geometrical Decorated style, from designs by R. D. CHANTRELL esq. Architect, consisting of chancel, clerestoried name of 5 bays, aisles and a tower on the south side with an open parapet, and buttresses rising into the crocketed pinnacles at the angles, and an octagonal ribbed spire relieved by two tiers of spire lights; the tower contains 3 bells, a small bell, and a clock, and its lower stage forms a porch."
Gott established a mill for the production of cloth at the end of the 18th century at Bean Ing on which now stands the Yorkshire Post building - at the western end of Wellington Street.
A Mears catalogue gives three bells cast by C & G Mears in 1847 with a tenor of 9cwt.for St Philip, Leeds.
1893 Kelly's Directory of Leeds, Sheffield and Rotherham - description of church.