kirkby malzeard St Andrew  SE 236746

Back to Ripon Deanery

History

Medieval church with Decorated tower.  Much rebuilt after a fire in 1908 which destroyed the previous peal of six bells.

Bells

Six bells hung for full circle ringing. One of the Croydon foundry's earlier peals of bells - owing much to the developments at Taylors of Loughborough a decade previously.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 5-0-12 29.125" D
2 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 5-3-12 31.175" C
3 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 7-0-15 33.125" B flat
4 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 8-3-8 36" A
5 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 12-0-23 40.125" G
6 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1909 16-3-0 45" F

Inscriptions

1.     IB:    KIRKBY MALZEARD.  BY VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS  A.D. 1866.
                [ornament]
        W:    ALL RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  A.D. 1909.

2.    IB:    KIRKBY MALZEARD  A.D. 1866.
                [ornament]
        W:    RECAST 1909.

3.    IB:    JESUS BE OUR SPEED 1622..
                [ornament]
        W:    RECAST 1909.

4.    IB:    JESUS BE OUR SPEED 1609.
                [ornament]
        W:    RECAST 1909.

5.    IB:    GOD SAVE OUR CHURCH. 1609.
                [ornament]
        W:    RECAST 1909.

6.    IB:    ALL NOW THAT HEAR MY DOLEFUL SOUND REPENT BEFORE DEATH YOU CONFOUND  1768.  G. THIRKILL CHURCHWARDEN, A.D. 1768.
                [ornament - pictured below]
        W:    RECAST 1909.

Frame and Fittings

A complete installation by Gillett and Johnston from 1909 with H frame and cast-iron box-section headstocks.  The bells have plain bearings and plain stays with a metal jockey sliding on a straight rail.  All the pulleys are single.

Poppleton

KIRKBY MALZEARD  (St. Andrew). Six bells.

1 & 2.  CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SON LONDON

(lower)               KIRKBY MALZEARD 1866

            ERECTED 1866 BY VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS

3.         IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1622

(lower)               WR                                                                 34 in. dia.

4.         IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1609 (32)

                                                                                                 37 in. dia.

5.         GOD SAVE OVR CHVRCH 1609 (32)

                                                                                                 40 in. dia.

6.         ALL MEN THAT HEARS MY DOLEFULL SOUND

            REPENT BEFORE DEATH YOU CONFOUND

(lower)               GEOE THIRKILL CH. WARDEN

            LESTER & PACK OF LONDON FECIT 1768

                                                                                                 44 in. dia.

This bell bears the figures of two short-handled picks or hammers,(81) which may represent the tool with which bells were tuned by chipping the sound bow.

Mr. R. C. Hope, of Scarborough, has furnished me with extensive extracts from the churchwardens’ accounts, &c., of this parish, commencing with the year 1576.

In 1591 one of the bells was recast in the church itself. The items in the accounts are as follows :-

 

Imp. for casting the Bell                                                                                iijli. vijs.

To Will. Ripley, for that layde out aboute the bell casting                             xljs. vd.

It., for 1 board 4 yards long                                                                                vijd.

 ”    woode for drying the mold                                                                           xijd.

”     flags for his fornaces                                                                                    viijs.

”     j pounde of Bee waxe                                                                                     xd.

”     drinke at takeing downe the Bell                                                                xiiijd.

”     2 planks                                                                                                     ijs. vjd.

”     to Cudbert ffisher, for going to Yorke to buy mettall                            iijs. iiijd.

”     cleeving of woode                                                                                        viijd.

”     1 gallon of ale at the drying of the moeld                                                       vd.

”     ale & breade at the bell casting                                                                    xixd.

”     ale & brede & ale for draweing the bell into the steple                            iijs. ijd.

”     to ffran. Braythwaite, for iij daies worke about hanging the Bell           iis. Vjd.

”     for going to Rippon to fetch one cable                                                         iiijd.

”     to Vincent Outhwaite, for paveing the Church where the bell was casten     ijs.

”     bearing of horse dung to the bell casting                                                iijs. iiijd.

”     Pewter for the bell                                                                                 vijs. iiijd.

”     payde to John Burnet, that borrowed about the bell casting                         xxs.

”     to ffabian Heywoode, for the like                                                                   xs.

”     ”  Cud. ffisher                                                                                                  xs.

”     ”        ”            for leading woode                                                                    ijs.

”     ”  Will. Man,   for 30 pounde of Bras                                                              xs.

”     ”  Will. Walker, for 9 pounde of Bras                                                           iiijs.

”     ”  Thos.      ”          15            ”                                                                        vjs.

”     ”  John Beckwith, for bringing mettall from Yorke                                        ijs.

”     ”  Gilb. Anderson, for 12 pounde of Bras                                                     iiijs.

It., to  Sym. Woodhouse, ij pounde & a halfe                                               iiijs. xd.

”     ”  Mar. ffoster, for bands nailes to the Bells                                           iiijs. ijd.

”     ”  Christ. Toppon, for one litle Bell (probably a hand bell melted up)            xs.

”     for j hide of woode                                                                                       iiijd.

”     for riving of woode in the spring                                                                    xd.

”     Antho: Gaines wife, for woode                                                                    iiijd.

Sume disbursed about the bells, xijli. ixs. viijd.

 

In 1609-10 three of the great bells were recast by Mr. Oldfield, he being paid £38 for his work. The wording of the accounts seems to imply that there were more than three great bells in the tower, and in 1616 four bell wheels were paid for. The tenor, second, and third bells were those recast by Oldfield in 1609, the tenor being dealt with at one time and the two smaller bells at another. These latter still remain. The tenor seems to have been recast in 1768.

The accounts do not state where Oldfield set up his furnace, &c., but it could not have been far off, as the item, “Itm., for bringing the bells to the furnaces and for weighing them,” is only ijs. In 1622 “the litel bell,” which seems to have escaped in 1609, was taken to Thirsk and recast there, in pursuance of an agreement previously entered into with William Oldfield.  The negotiation seems to have been thirsty work:-

It., to the bell ffounder in earnest                                                               xijd.

  ”  spent in drinke when Willm. Oldfield was heare                                 xijd.

  ”  spent in ale when the bargaine was mad for casting the bell                xijd.

In 1623 Oldfield was paid £6 14s. for the recasting. This church is said to have received four bells out of the twelve taken from the Trinitarian Priory at Knaresborough (q.v.).

From 6th April to 11th October they ring the second bell here on weekdays at seven a.m. and five p.m.

 

Clock

A two train clock by Potts of Leeds in 1909 is sited in the ringing chamber. It was fitted with autowind in 2003 and strikes the hours on the tenor.

Sources

ARA October 2005