kirby-on-the-moor All Saints  SE 393687 Also known as KIRBY HILL

Back to Ripon Deanery

History

An ancient church with Anglo-Saxon work.  West tower rebuilt by Sir G G Scott.

Bells

Six bells hung for full circle ringing.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Warner 1869 3-2-25 26.5" G
2 John Warner 1869 3-2-24 26.75" F
3 John Warner 1869 4-0-25 28.5" E flat
4 Samuel II Smith 1713 4-1-26 29.375" D
5 Samuel II Smith 1718 5-2-8 32" C
6 Selioks c1520 8-0-14 35.5" B flat

Inscriptions

1: IB:    BENEDICITE OMNIA OPERA DNI DNO +
    W:                        J   W   &   S
                                 [royal crest]
                                LOND.  1869.

2: IB:               TE DEUM LAUDAMUS +
    W:                        J   W   &   S
                                 [royal crest]
                                LOND.  1869.

3: IB:    TE MARTYRUM CANDIDATUS LAUDAT EXERCITUS +
    W:                        J   W   &   S
                                 [royal crest]
                                LOND.  1869.

4: IB:    VENITE EXVLTEMVS DOMINO  1713 [band of ornament]
                  SS Ebor                                     SS Ebor

5: IB:    GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO  1718   [band of ornament]
                    [band of ornament including SS Ebor]

6: IB:    SCA  trenitas unus deus [two shields]

Pictured below are elements of the tenor's inscription and the full inscription from plaster casts.

Ringing World [1952 p 730 (14/11/1952)]

Frame and Fittings

The bells were tuned and rehung by Taylors in 1952.  They are hung in a low-side cast iron frame with modern fittings and Hastings stays.

Sources

ARA July 2005