HUNSLET Christ Church
Meadow Lane, LEEDS
Return to Lost Churches
History & Bells
"The church, situated in Meadow Lane, is an edifice of Bramley Fall stone in the Decorated style of the fourteenth century, from designs by Mr. R. D. CHANTRELL, architect, and was erected in 1823-6, at a cost of about £10 457, being the first church in Leeds under the parliamentary grant of £1,000,000 for church extension: it consists of quasi-chancel with vestries, nave of six bays, aisles and a western tower 127 feet in height, with angle buttresses, rising into crocketed pinnacles above an embattled and traceried parapet; the tower contains a clock and 2 bells."
The smaller of the two bells, inscribed: THOMAS MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1832 was acquired by Ronald Dove and the metal used in part payment for the bells at St Wilfrid, Harrogate in 1973. The bell weighed 4-0-7 when taken to Taylor's bellfoundry.
The church was demolished and the site is now occupied by ASDA's main offices.
www.leodis.net (C) picture of church
1893, Kelly's Directory of Leeds, Sheffield and Rotherham