Hunslet St Mary SE 311314
Return to Armley Deanery
Built by Perkins & Backhouse in 1864. The body of the church was demolished and rebuilt as a flat roofed structure in 1975. The tower remains unaltered but is no longer supported by the nave of the church.
There are twelve bells altogether - a peal of eight hung for full circle ringing and four additional chiming bells - all twelve bells can be sounded by an Ellacombe.
|1||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||5-3-4||29.75"||E|
|2||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||6-0-9||30.475"||D sharp|
|3||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||6-0-21||31.475"||C sharp|
|4||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||6-3-27||34"||B|
|5||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||8-3-3||37"||A|
|6||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||9-3-19||38.5"||G sharp|
|7||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||13-2-20||43.25"||F sharp|
|8||John Warner of Cripplegate||1864||18-1-9||48"||E|
|C1||John Taylor of Loughborough||1939||3-1-2||23.5"||G sharp|
|C2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1939||3-3-7||25.5"||F sharp|
|C3||John Taylor of Loughborough||1939||5-0-27||29"||D|
|C4||John Taylor of Loughborough||1939||7-2-11||34"||A sharp|
The three smallest chiming bells (in order 2, 1, 3 - the fourth is to the left)
Frame and Fittings
The eight ringing bells are hung in a wooden frame with bells 1 and 3 above 2 and 4 - all eight swing N-S. The chiming bells hang from a pair of girders above the 6 and 7. The ringing bells have cast iron headstocks, traditional stays and sliders all dating from the 1939 augmentation. All bells have Ellacombe hammers and bells 2,3,4,7 and 8 have external clock hammers.
HUNSLET (St. Mary). Eight bells.
These bells were cast by Messrs. Warner in 1864.
A three train clock by Potts of Leeds in 1863. Now with synchronous motor and motor driven chimes. It uses a shortened version of the Cambridge Quarters.
List of sources/date of visit