Headingley St Michael  SE 280359

Return to Headingley Deanery

History

Built in 1884-5 by J L Pearson.  Tall W tower and spire completed at a later date.

Bells

A ring of eight bells hung for full circle ringing.  The front four bells have distinctive angular canons and the back four were cast without.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 5-0-7 27.125" E
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 5-1-15 27.875" D sharp
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 6-0-4 30" C sharp
4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 7-0-18 32.375" B
5 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 9-1-25 35.875" A
6 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 10-2-7 37.75" G sharp
7 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 14-1-4 42.625" F sharp
8 John Taylor of Loughborough 1890 20-1-0 47.5" E

    

Pictured above are the tenor and treble showing the contrast between the flat crown of the tenor and the domed crown of the treble.

These bells were cast for the new church and replaced a 10cwt peal of six which had been the top six of the ten cast for Leeds Parish Church in 1797 (See Poppleton below)

Inscriptions

Each bell has a Taylor shield on the waist and the inscription bands have:

1:    TO GOD THE FATHER  MDCCCXC

2:    GOD THE SON   MDCCCXC

3:    AND GOD THE SPIRIT   MDCCCXC

4:    THREE IN ONE   MDCCCXC

5:    BE HONOUR, PRAISE   MDCCCXC

6:    AND GLORY GIVEN   MDCCCXC

7:    ALL ON EARTH  MDCCCXC

8:    AND ALL IN HEAVEN   MDCCCXC

8 waist:    FREDERIC JOHN WOOD M. A. VICAR
                C. F. TETLEY M.A.
                JOSEPH NICHOLSON      CHURCHWARDENS
                D. S. BLAICKLOCK HON. SEC.
                CHURCH BUILDING COMMITTEE 

Poppleton

HEADINGLEY (St. Michael). Six bells.

1, 2 & 3. THOMAS MEARS OF LONDON FECIT  1797

4.    J TAYLOR & CO FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH  1865

5.              THOMAS MEARS & SON OF LONDON FECIT  1807

                     (With names of vicar and churchwardens.)

6.    C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON

                     RECAST 1852

                     (With names of vicar and churchwardens.)

 

Frame and Fittings

A composite frame of cast iron H sides on a wooden grillage dating from the new bells by Taylors in 1890.  The front five bells have wooden headstocks and those of the back three are cast-iron replacements by Gillett and Johnston.  Ball bearings are fitted to all the bells and each has a traditional stay and slider except the tenor which, due to its confined space, has a very short stay and a sliding bar with a peg (which can be seen in the above photograph on the left).

Clock

A three-train flat bed movement driving four small dials at the level of the ringing room.

Sources

ARA 2003