hampsthwaite St Thomas a Becket  SE 259590

Return to Harrogate Deanery

History

Originally built as a penance by those responsible for the murder of Thomas a Becket.  The west tower is perpendicular but the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1902 by C Hodgson Fowler - some reconstruction had taken place in the 1820's.

Bells

Six bells hung for full-circle ringing.  From Poppleton's notes it is suggested that in 1857 two bells were recast to make the present fifth bell. Further, the inscription on the tenor suggests that it was given new in 1857.  Therefore it is reasonable to assume that the present fourth bell was the tenor of the pre-1857 ring of three.  In 1934 the two tenors were retuned and the three bells hung in a frame for six.  The tenor weighed 10-0-8 and the second 8-2-8 before this work.

In 2005 two redundant bells were obtained from All Saints Wokingham  - these had been cast in 1903 and were the trebles of the eight.  They were retuned (including removal of the lip on the outside of the bell) and together with a new cast bell filled the empty pits to create a peal  of six.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Mears and Stainbank 1903 4-3-14 28.25" D#
2 Mears and Stainbank 1903 5-0-10 29.375" C#
3 Taylors, Eayre and Smith Ltd 2005 6-3-14 32.5" B
4 Edward II Seller 1738 7-0-17 33.75" A#
5 C & G Mears 1857 8-0-7 36.875" G#
6 C & G Mears 1857 9-1-11 39.75" F#

Inscriptions

4    IB:    DEO GLORIA  EDWARD BAINBRIDGE VICAR    IONA HARDCASTLE  THO RHODES  IONA HUTCHINSON  HEN RANSOM  CHURCHWARDENS  1738  E SELLER EBOR   (all within a band of ornament).

5    IB:    C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1857

6    IB:    C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1857
Waist [Incised]:   GIVEN TO THE PARISH OF HAMPSTHWAITE BY BILTON JOSEPH WILTON ESQUIRE MAY 1ST 1857

Frame and Fittings

  

Hung in a cast-iron low side frame for six  by Taylors of Loughborough in 1934.  The back three have Hastings stays whilst the three newer bells have traditional stays and sliders.  All bells have cast iron headstocks with ball bearings.

Clock

A three train clock by Smith of Derby.  Ting-tang quarters are sounded on bells 5 and 6 with the hours struck on the tenor.

Poppleton

HAMPSTHWAITE  (St. Thomas of Canterbury). Three bells.

1.    DEO GLORIA 1738

       EDWARD BAINBRIDGE VICAR

       IONA: HUTCHINSON               CHVRCHWARDENS

       HEN: RANSOM

       {E Seller Ebor} With a band of bell ornament.

2.    C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1857

3.    C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1857

(incised) GIVEN TO THE PARISH OF HAMPSTHWAITE BY BILTON JOSEPH WILTON ESQUIRE MAY 1ST 1857

 

There were formerly two bells, bearing the inscriptions:-

1.    SOLI DEO GLORIA 1626

2.    TO GOD THAT DOTH DISPOSE ALL THINGS

       TO HIM ALL GLORY AND PRAISE WE RING 1620

                     SOLI DEO GLORIA W O

 

These were the second and tenor respectively, and being cracked were taken down and cast into the present second bell.

By a codicil to his will, proved at York 5 January, 1406, John Parker, Doctor of Medicine, states:-

 

" Item volo quod tres librae sterlingorum assignatae in testamento meo pro expensis funeralibus apud Ebor deliberentur vicario de Hamsthwayt ad facturam campanarum ecclesiae parochialis de Hamsthwayt." (Test. Ebor., i, 343.)

Sources

ARA visited August 2003

Yorkshire The West Riding - Nikolas Pevsner and Enid Ratcliffe [2nd edition]

Francis Frith's Around Harrogate - Clive Hardy