Great ouseburn St Mary  SE 449618

Back to Ripon Deanery

History

Twelfth century west tower with thirteenth century bell-openings.

Bells

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Edward II Seller 1750   25" sharp of E
2 Edward II Seller 1738   28.25" C#

Treble (left) and Tenor (right)

  

Inscriptions

As given by Poppleton.  The N of VEENI is reversed. The tenor also has 2 bands of ornament.

Poppleton

OUSEBURN, GREAT  (St. Mary). Two bells.

1.    CVM VOCO VEENI PRECARE

       GEO CASS                  CHVRCH

       GEO BARBER               WARDENS 1750

 

2.              FVNERA DEPLORO POPVLVM VOCO FESTA DECORO 1738

                     JOHN WALKER              CHVRCH      WIL. WILCOCK VICAR

                     ROB. PICK                   WARDENS

 

Both have       {E Seller Ebor}

Frame and Fittings

A tall frame made of relatively slight timbers.  There is a mixture of old timber and later additions (see below).  The bells hang from traditional fittings with wooden headstocks.  The stay on the second is unusually on the wheel side.  The wheels are of a one-piece design.A clock hammer is fitted to the tenor.

Clock

A two train clock by Potts of Leeds 1898.

Sources

ARA July 2005