east keswick St Mary Magdalene  SE 358444

Return to Allerton Deanery

History

Built in 1856-57 by Mallinson and Healey.

Bells

Three bells hung for chiming in a western double bell-cote.  Originally six, three were removed in 1954 when the remainder were refurbished.  Played from an Ellacombe rack at the west end of the nave.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
  John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 0-1-7 11.125" G
  John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 0-1-13 12.125" F
  John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 0-1-21 12.9375" E flat
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 0-2-7 14" D
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 0-3-12 17.9375" C
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1933 1-0-25 18.125" B flat

Inscriptions

Of the original six bells 1 & 2 were inscribed:

JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1933 *

Bells 3, 4, & 5 were inscribed:

JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1933 *

And the sixth bell:

JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1933 *
            PRESENTED BY
THE LADIES' SEWING PARTY
        AND SUBSCRIBERS
  DURING THE MINISTRY OF
 THE RED. B. W. CRAWFORD      

Frame and Fittings

The bells hang from two steel frames - one in each arch of the bell turret - two bells in the north and one in the south arch.  Internal pear-shaped clappers are attached to cables which run over pulleys and through the church roof.  In the former arrangement there would have been three bells in each arch and a set of horizontal transmission rods - the holes for the ends of these rods can be seen in the picture above.  

Sources

Andrew Aspland 2007

Taylor's Records.