danby wiske  SE 338984

Back to Richmond Deanery

History

Tall Perpendicular west tower though the church itself has work from the Norman period through to the fourteenth century.

Bells

A peal of three bells hung for full-circle ringing.  The second is certainly a recast of the work of Thomas Wood of  Thirsk - it is identical in inscription to the tenor at Middleton Tyas.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1940 3-1-25 26" D sharp
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1940 4-0-8 28.125" C sharp
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1940 5-2-5 31.0625" B

Inscriptions

1.    IB: [Taylor ornament - pomegranates and bells]

       Waist: [Rectangular Taylor shield]
                    RECAST 1940

2.    IB:    GOD SAVEE HIS CHVRCH  1663 [the D of GOD is reversed and the whole is in facsimile]

       Waist: [Rectangular Taylor shield]
                    RECAST 1940

3.    IB:  SONO OMNIBUS PLACERE IKAY IHORN WARD 1716

       Waist:    J. E. PARKHURST BAXTER, RECTOR
                        C. WILMOT-SMITH
                        W. J. MARSHALL        CHURCHWARDENS
                        E. B. HOYLE

       Reverse: [Round Taylor Shield]
                          RECAST 1940

Frame and Fittings

A complete installation by Taylors of Loughborough in 1940 including Hastings stays and all modern gear.

Sources

Andrew Aspland - September 2009