chapel allerton St Matthew SE 303373
Return to Allerton Deanery
History Built in 1897-8 by G F Bodley. South tower almost detached from the main building. The previous church stood on the corner of Town Street and Church Lane. The graveyard is still there.
A peal of six bells hung for full circle ringing. Originally a clock chime of 1946 they were augmented to six and hung for ringing through the efforts of Ronald Dove. Previously there were three bells.
|1||John Taylor of Loughborough||1946||3-1-0||27.125"||G|
|2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1946||3-2-4||27.875"||F|
|3||John Taylor of Loughborough||1946||4-0-4||30"||E flat|
|4||John Taylor of Loughborough||1954||4-3-9||32.375"||D|
|5||John Taylor of Loughborough||1954||5-2-0||35.875"||C|
|6||John Taylor of Loughborough||1946||7-2-23||37.75"||B flat|
The previous ring of three which hung in the old church were also cast at Loughborough; the tenor on 28th June 1854 and the other two on 12th July 1854. They were in thirds so as to make the 2, 4 and 6 of a peal of six. They were hung for full-circle ringing in the rather modestly sized tower - 8'9" square.
|2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1854||4-3-9||28.125"||E|
|4||John Taylor of Loughborough||1854||5-1-22||30"||C#|
|6||John Taylor of Loughborough||1854||7-2-19||35.625"||A|
The treble had been recast by Barwell of Birmingham in 1878 and was transferred to the new church in 1900 and hung for ringing - when it was later returned to Loughborough to be recast it weighed 5-0-25. In July 1935 the two largest bells were taken down from the old church and sent to Loughborough to be refurbished and hung stationary in the tower of the new church. The old church was pulled down later in 1935.
At the new church the old treble was hung for swinging and the other two hung dead - all three were fitted with Ellacombe chiming apparatus. The ting-tang quarter chiming clock from the old church was scrapped.
1. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1945 *
2. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1945 *
3. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1945 *
4. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1955 *
5. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1955 *
6. IB: JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1945 *
Frame and Fittings
Hung in a cast iron low-sided frame in the original clock room with modern fittings dating from 1954.