catterick  St Anne  SE 240980

Back to Richmond Deanery

History

Early fifteenth century church with later west tower.

Bells

A peal of eight bells hung for full-circle ringing.  Prior to 1891 there were three bells represented by the 4th, 5th and 7th of the present peal.  The heavier two were by Abraham Smith of York in 1656.  The treble of this three may have been the work of George Dalton of York in 1775 but since the inscription has not been reproduced in facsimile we cannot be certain.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Mears & Stainbank 1893   24.5" A flat
2 Mears & Stainbank 1893   25.5" G
3 Mears & Stainbank 1891   27.5" F
4 Mears & Stainbank 1891   29" E flat
5 Mears & Stainbank 1891   31" D flat
6 Mears & Stainbank 1891   32" C
7 Mears & Stainbank 1891   34.75" B flat
8 Mears & Stainbank 1891 9-3-10 38" A flat

Inscriptions

Treble:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON. 
                                                         J. J. M
                                                          AND
                                                        M. M. B. 
                                                          1893.

2nd:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.   
                                                         J. J. M
                                                          AND
                                                        M. M. B. 
                                                          1893.

3rd:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON. 
                                                 IN MEMORIAM 
                                      JOHN BAINBRIDGE BOOTH, 
                                       OF KILLERBY CATTERICK.
                                            DIED JUNE 23RD 1886. 
                                LET CHRIST BE KNOWN AROUND 
                                AND LOVED WHERE'ER I SOUND
                                                            1891.

4th:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.
                                                     RECAST 1891.
                        JOHN KIRKBY : CHURCH : WARDEN 1775.

5th:        SOLI : DEO : GLORIA : PAX : HOMINIBVS : 1656 : A.S. 
                                                    RECAST 1891
        MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.

6th:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON. 
                                                    IN MEMORIAM
                                        JOHN BAINBRIDGE BOOTH,
                                         OF KILLERBY CATTERICK.
                                              DIED JUNE 23RD 1886. 
                    "ON EARTH BELLS DO RING, IN HEAVEN ANGELS SING" 
                                                      HALLELUJAH.
                                                                1891.

7th:    I : SWEETLY : TOLLING : MEN : DO : CALL : TO : TASTE : ON : FOOD : YT : FEEDS : YE : SOVLE : 1656 A.S.
                                                        RECAST 1891
                MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.
                                    M S MINISTER TF CR TF OVERSEERS:

Tenor:    MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.
                                                        IN MEMORIAM
                                            JOHN BAINBRIDGE BOOTH,
                                            OF KILLERBY CATTERICK.
                                                 DIED JUNE 23RD 1886. 
                                "WHEN SWEETLY CHIMES THIS BELL
                                       O'ER SEA AND HILL AND DELL. 
                                     MAY JESUS CHRIST BE PRAISED."
                                                                  1891.

Frame and Fittings

The photograph shows bells 5, 6, 7 and 8.  To the left the fifth can be seen two-thirds in the tower and one-third in the window.  To the top right the seventh swings out into the louvre window in an unusual gallows frame arrangement.  The Y shaped steel piece helps to stabilise the posts.  All eight bells are attached by their canons to wooden headstocks - the headstocks are all flat bottomed and no attempt has been made to tuck the bells up or to give any progression to the geometry of the hanging.  Traditional wheels, stays and sliders.  The two tenors have ball bearings and the remainder plain bearings.  Bells 2 and 3 swing alongside the 5 and 8.  Bells 1 and 4 are hung above 2 and 3.  The rope of the fourth bell passes through a number of pulleys and other devices to bring it from the upper tier into the rope circle.

This is a very cramped arrangement making access to all the bells something of a challenge.  The design of the frame has been compromised to fit eight bells in this modest tower. Only the tenor hangs in a conventional pit with all four sides.  A full set of quarter chiming clock hammers and Ellacombes to all bells make for an interesting installation!

Clock

On the south wall of the ringing chamber a quarter chiming clock made by Potts of Leeds in 1892.  The electrification of the winding has further obstructed the ringing chamber and could have been planned with a little more thought for the immediate environment.

Sources

ARA August 2012