BURLEY St Matthias  SE 278346

Return to Headingley Deanery

History

Consecrated on Friday 10th November 1854.  The tower is situated at the west angle of the south transept and with its spire rises to 166 feet in height.  The architects were Messrs Perkins and Backhouse.  There were six bells cast by Taylor and Son of Loughborough which were given by the Misses Beckett.  The tower, it is believed, was paid for by Wm Beckett Esq.

Bells

A ring of eight bells hung for full circle ringing.  They replace a previous peal of six which originated as a three and were augmented one year later.  In the 1860s consideration was given to adding a treble and tenor to make eight and therefore recasting the fourth a semitone lower.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 3-1-1 23" B flat
2 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 3-1-12 23.5" A
3 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 3-2-9 24.375" G
4 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 3-3-24 26" F
5 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 4-0-19 27.5625" E flat
6 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 4-3-7 28.25" D
7 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 5-3-9 31.25" C
8 Gillett and Johnston of Croydon 1930 7-3-16 35" B flat

The previous peal of six hung in a timber cage built up from the louvre window cills.  Both Gillett and Johnston and Taylors condemned this arrangement when inspecting in 1919.  It is reported that there were no ropes on the bells at this time.

Inscriptions

1.  IB:    GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.  1930.   [G&J logo]

Waist:                  1            4000

 

2.  IB:    GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.  1930.   [G&J logo]

Waist:                  2            3970

 

3.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.  1930.   [G&J logo]

Waist:                  CAST 1855           

                                    3            3971

 

4.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.  1930.   [G&J logo]

Waist:                  CAST 1855

                                    4            3972

 

5.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.  1930.   [G&J logo]

Waist:                  CAST 1855

                                    5            3973

 

6.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.    [G&J logo]

Waist:                              CAST 1854       

                     THIS PEAL OF SIX BELLS RECAST

            AND AUGMENTED TO EIGHT BELLS 1930

           BY PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SUBSCRIPTION.

                                                6                                                3974

 

7.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.    [G&J logo]

Waist:                              CAST 1854       

                THIS BELL RESTORED IN MEMORY OF

                       ELIZABETH HANNAH WATSON

                          OF PARK HILL BURLEY 1930.

                                                7                                                3975

 

8.  IB:    RECAST BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON  CROYDON.    [G&J logo]

Waist:                                CAST 1854       

                    THIS BELL RESTORED IN MEMORY OF

                          WILLIAM PLEWS ESQUIRE J.P.

                  OF THE WOODLANDS, BURLEY.  1930.

       THE ORIGINAL PEAL OF SIX BELLS PRESENTED BY

MARY & ELIZABETH BECKETT OF MEANWOOD PARK, 1854.

                                                8                                                3976

Frame and Fittings

A complete installation by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon in 1930.  Cast-iron low sided frame in a 2-4-2 layout, web-section cast-iron headstocks with ball bearings and traditional stays and sliders.  SG clappers and new crown-staples by Hayward Mills in 1999.  On going wheel replacement by David Town - tenor wheel replaced 2003.

Clock

A three train clock by Potts of Leeds in the first decade of the twentieth century.  Since the photograph was taken the chiming train has been restored to working order though the thrice weekly winding has meant that it is rarely used.

Sources

ARA 1996

R V Taylor - Leeds Churches

Taylors' Records