boroughbridge St James SE 397665
Back to Ripon Deanery
The previous church was rebuilt in 1852 by architects Mallinson and Healey though fragments of a late Norman doorway exist.
Six bells hung for full circle ringing.
|1||Mears and Stainbank||1870||4-2-7||29.325"||D|
|2||Mears and Stainbank||1870||5-1-20||31.75"||C|
|3||Mears and Stainbank||1870||6-1-3||33.875"||B flat|
|4||Mears and Stainbank||1870||7-0-24||35.5"||A|
|5||Mears and Stainbank||1870||9-0-5||39"||G|
|6||Mears and Stainbank||1870||12-3-22||43.25"||F|
BOROUGHBRIDGE (St. James). Six bells.
1. Psalm cv. 4 “Seek”
2. Psalm cv. 4 “The Lord”
3. Psalm cv. 4 “Seek”
4. Psalm cv. 4 “His strength”
5. Psalm cv. 4 “His Face”
6. Psalm cv. 4 “Evermore”
This peal of 6 Bells given by Angela G. Burdett Coutts A.D. 1870 in memory of her Father being elected Member of Parliament for Boroughbridge 1796.
These inscriptions are all on the waists of the bells. On the shoulder of each is:
Mears & Stainbank Founders London 1870
There were formerly three bells here:
Sancti Jacobi mentis precibus Deus audi nos
2. Jhesus be our spede 1598
3. Dated 1609, and bearing the Tancred crest-an olive tree fructed.
These were recast in 1842, and another added by subscription.
Frame and Fittings
The bells formerly hung at the top of the tower in a wooden frame and fittings largely dating from their installation in 1870. In 2004 the bells were retuned and rehung lower down the tower in a new steel frame, built by John Hallett, with new fittings supplied by the Whitechapel bellfoundry.
List of sources/date of visit