Leeds Holy Trinity, Boar Lane  SE  302334

Return to Allerton Deanery

History

Built in 1722-27 by William Etty of York.  The three stage spire is a replacement by Chantrell in 1839.

Bell

One bell originally hung for full circle ringing but now chimed by an Ellacombe hammer.  The bell is located in the chamber above the clock - the chamber below with large louvre windows is empty.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 Edward Seller of York 1728 5cwt 31.25" C

Inscription

GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO  1728

Poppleton

LEEDS (Holy Trinity). Two bells.

1.    DEO GLORIA 173....

(This bell is about 15 in. diameter, and very much corroded.)

2.              GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO  1728  {E Seller, Ebor}

30 in. dia.

Frame and Fittings

The bell is fitted with a wooden headstock and used to have a full wheel, stay and slider.  There is an Ellacombe hammer and an external clock hammer. The wooden frame is includes some reused timbers and may have contained another bell (see Poppleton).

Clock

A two train clock by Potts of Leeds now fitted with electric wind.

Sources

List of sources/date of visit