bishop monkton St John the Baptist  SE 329660

Back to Ripon Deanery  

History

Built in 1879 with NW tower and small spire.

Bells

A chime of eight bells replacing a set of eight tubular bells.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

0.3.13

16"

C

2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

1.0.7

17"

B

3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

1.1.16

19"

A

4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

1.3.16

21"

G

5 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

2.1.25

23"

F

6 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

2.3.9

24.5"

E

7 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

4.0.18

27.5"

D

8 John Taylor of Loughborough 1964

5.2.4

30.5"

C

Inscriptions

All eight bells:

Inscription band:    * JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1964

And in addition the tenor has on its waist:  THESE EIGHT BELLS 
                                                                WERE GIVEN BY
                                                                G. WARD   C. HARTLEY
                                                                FREDA O. K. HARTLEY
                                                                E. MURIEL L. BROOKS
                                                                                        (NEE HARTLEY)
                                                                                 1964

Frame and Fittings

The bells are fitted with internal solenoid clappers played from an ivory keyboard in the nave.  The mechanism was restored by Taylors in 1999.

Sources

ARA 1999

RWMC 1984