Bedale St Gregory  SE 262884

Return to Wensley Deanery

History

A substantial west tower with Perpendicular bell stage.  Evidence in the lower part of the tower suggests that it played a defensive role for the citizens of Bedale.

Bells

A peal of eight bells hung for full circle ringing with a sanctus bell hung for swing chiming.  The tenor is medieval, the back five were completed in the 17th century and the six in the 18th. Two trebles were added to make eight in the 19th century.  This mixture of bells do not form a coherent peal of eight and there are plans to improve the bell installation.

   

The medieval tenor bell (left) and the sanctus bell (right).

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Warner 1873   29.1875" E flat
2 John Warner 1873   31.125" D
3 E Seller II 1755   31.5" C
4 Thomas I Wood of Thirsk 1664   35" B flat
5 W Oldfield II 1627   37" A flat
6 W Oldfield II 1625   39.75" G
7 W Oldfield II 1631   42.375" F
8 Johannes de Stafford c1360 20cwt. 49.25" E flat
Sanctus Samuel Smith of York 1713   20.75"  

The eight bells in their frame by Mallaby of Masham.

Inscriptions

1:    CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1873
            [Royal Arms] PATENT
    SIT NOMEN DOMINI BENEDICTUM

2:    CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1873
            [Royal Arms] PATENT
    AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM

3:    GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO 1755  EDWD PLACE RECTOR  IN PULLEIN CHURCHWARDEN E SELLER Ebor

4:    IESVS BE OVR SPEED  PS  TW  HS  IW  MW  1664

5:    DEO GLORIA PAX HOMINIBVS  1627

6:    IESVS BE OVR SPEED  1625

7:    SOLI DEO GLORIA PAX HOMINIBVS  1631

8:    iou : ego : cum : fiam : cruce : custos : laudo : mariam : digna : dei : laude : mater : dignissima : gaude

Sanctus:    VOCO VENI PRECARE  1713 SS Ebor  SS Ebor

Frame and Fittings

The eight bells are hung in a wooden frame by Mallaby of Masham dating from the augmentation to eight in 1873. The fittings were largely replaced in the 1930s by the Whitechapel bellfoundry but on conservative lines.  The frame for bells 7 and 8 has been strengthened by the addition of steelwork to the braces.  In recent years the pulleys have been replaced and clappers attended to but nevertheless the bells still present a certain challenge to the ringer.

Clock

A three train clock by Dent of London.  Ting-tang quarters on bells 4 and 6 with the hour struck on the tenor.

Sources

ARA February 2006