beckwithshaw St Michael and All Angels SE 268532
Return to Harrogate Deanery
C19 church with south-west tower.
A peal of six bells hung for full-circle ringing.
|1||Mears & Stainbank||1886||28.25"||D sharp|
|2||Mears & Stainbank||1886||30.75"||C sharp|
|3||Mears & Stainbank||1886||33.25"||B|
|4||Mears & Stainbank||1886||34.75"||A sharp|
|5||Mears & Stainbank||1886||37"||G sharp|
|6||Mears & Stainbank||1886||13-0-15||42.75"||F sharp|
1 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1886
2 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1886
3 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON 1886
4 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1886
5 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON 1886
6 IB: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1886
The names are those of the donor, his wife and children and are incised into the waist of each bell. There is considerable diversity in the punctuation used.
Frame and Fittings
A two tier wooden frame with bells 1, 3 and 5 hanging above 2, 4 and 6 respectively which is coeval with the bells. The third bell is pictured above. Each bell hangs from its original wooden headstock though a restoration has seen the fitting of independent crown staples and ball bearings. The third has an SG clapper whilst those of the others are wrought iron. Traditional stays and sliders.
ARA visited August 2003