barton  St Cuthbert and St Mary  NZ 230090

Back to Richmond Deanery

History

Built in 1840-41 by Ignatius Bonomi.  South west tower which serves as entrance porch.

Bells

Four bells hung for full-circle ringing.

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1920 3-0-8 24.9375" Eb
2 John Taylor of Loughborough 1920 3-2-16 26.375" D
3 John Taylor of Loughborough 1920 4-3-4 29.3125" C
4 John Taylor of Loughborough 1920 6-3-27 32.75" Bb

Inscriptions

Treble:                                         +
                    DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD
                     AND IN MEMORY OF THE BARTON
                    LADS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.
                                COULTON W. HUNTER
                                 BARTON HALL * 1920

2nd:        WR   IH   IM   CWARDANS   1661
                                RECAST 1920
                                            +
                        TO THE GLORY OF GOD
                      AND IN LOVING MEMORY
                         OF THE BARTON LADS
                      WHO FELL IN THE GREAT
                    WAR  AUG. 1914 - NOV. 1918

                    F. F. R. DOWNIE * VICAR
                    ERNEST VAUX  )
                    JOHN MOODY  )   WARDENS

                                       19 T 20

3rd:            WL[in a square ground]    TG   TS   T[shield]D  1661
[as 2nd from "RECAST"]

Tenor:        GOD SAUE HIS CHURCH   EC   EG   1717
[as 2nd from "RECAST"]

Frame and Fittings

A complete installation by Taylors of Loughborough with usual gear from that period.  Low side cast iron frame for six bells.  Ellacombe hammers and a rack for six.

Sources

ARA 2002