ALLERTON MAULEVERER St Martin (Redundant 1973) SE416579
Return to Other Churches
An unusual church rebuilt in 1745 with a distinct Norman feel about it. The tower is placed east of the main transepts and is of brick with stone to the exterior.
Three bells hung for full-circle ringing though now sadly beyond use. The second bell is severely cracked from the lip to the waist. The tenor is pictured below.
|1||James Smith of York||1666||3½cwt||25.25"||sharp of Eb|
1. IB: GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO
RICHARDVS MALLEVERER MILES ET BARONETTVS AO 1666 [ornament]
2. IB: IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1627
3. No inscription.
The ornamental inscription of the treble is pictured above and the rather simpler on the second is below.
Frame and Fittings
Hung anticlockwise in a wooden "well" frame for four bells (though the fourth pit bears no evidence of ever being used). Traditional wooden headstocks and other fittings though unusual wheel mounted stays which may have been a later addition.
Poppleton (The bells are numbered backwards.)
ALLERTON MAULEVERER (St. Martin). Three bells.
1. No inscription.
2. IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1627
3. GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO
RICARDVS MALLEVERER MILES ET BARONETTVS AO 1666
A two train clock which drove one dial on the west face of the tower between the louvre openings and struck the hours on the tenor. The long pendulum passed through to the ground floor of the church and there is an unusual "cupboard" for the bob of the pendulum. It has not been operational for very many years!
Andrew Aspland - August 2009