allerton bywater St Mary the Less  SE 417278

Back to Deanery of Whitkirk

History

A nineteenth century church with tall bell-cote.

Bell

A single bell hung in a western bell-cote for swing chiming.  

Bell Founder Date Cwt-Qtr-Lb Diameter Note
1 John Taylor of Loughborough 1898 0-3-26 16"  

There used to be a set of six "bar-bells" mounted on the west wall of the church. The picture below shows the remains of the mountings with six narrow holes running through into the church building.

Inscription

-------OR & Co. * LOUGH----------

Frame and Fittings

A flat topped bell hung from a wrought-iron headstock with lever.

Sources

RWMC  1984

Ronald Dove - A Bellringers Guide to the Church Bells of Britain [2nd edition]