Adel St John the Baptist SE 275402
Return to Headingley Deanery
A largely Norman church - a rare survival. Built between 1150 and 1160 though the bellcote dates only from the restoration by Chantrell in 1839.
There are three bells hung in the western double bellcote. Two bells hang in the north arch and one in the south. The bells are chimed by electric clappers from a console in the vestry. The bells were restored in 2010 and the two heaviest tuned down one semitone to bring them into the major key - the original intention in 1976 but mistakenly the treble was tuned a semitone flat! Before retuning they weighed 2-2-13 and 3-0-22.
|1||John Taylor of Loughborough||1976||1-3-24||21"||G|
|2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1976||2-1-0||23"||F|
|3||John Taylor of Loughborough||1976||3-0-2||25"||E flat|
Each bell is inscribed on the waist: 19 [John Taylor Loughboro] 76
ADEL (St. John Baptist). Three bells.
These were recast in 1839 by Thomas Mears, of London. The tenor weighs 4 cwt.
The accurate weights of these bells were: 2-3-4 3-3-20 and 4-0-22.
Details of old bells
|1||Thomas Mears of London||1839||2-3-4||23.625"|
|2||Thomas Mears of London||1839||3-3-20||25.25"|
|3||Thomas Mears of London||1839||4-0-22||27.25|
Frame and Fittings
Hung dead from metal bar headstocks with internal electrically operated chiming hammers.