SHEEPSCAR St Clement
Chapeltown Road, LEEDS
Return to Lost Churches
"St. Clement's, Sheepscar, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed April 30th, 1869, out of St. Peter's and St. Michael's, Buslingthorpe; portions having in turn been since assigned to form the parish of St. Martin, Potternewton. The church, situated in Chapeltown road, and consecrated 10th September, 1868, is an edifice of Potternewton stone with Westwood stone dressings in the Early English style, from the designs of Mr. George Corson. architect, of Leeds, and was erected in 1867-8, by the Leeds Church Extension Society, at a cost of about £10,000: it consists of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a tower with octagonal turrets and a spire reaching a height of 140 feet and containing [ ? ] bells."
A further source indicates that in 1893 there were no bells but this seems unlikely in view of the date of the bell acquired by Ronald Dove.
The church was demolished in 1976 despite having been listed in 1974 and a bell was acquired by Ronald Dove. The metal being used as part payment for the two trebles at St Wilfrid's Harrogate in 1977. It was cast by Taylor of Loughborough in 1868 and weighed 5-1-6 on arriving back at the foundry.
www.churchplansonline.org The Ground Plan
www.Leodis.net The Exterior Photograph
1893 Kellys Directory
St Wilfrid's Harrogate Belfry Records