LEEDS St Anne (R.C.) SE299339
Return to Other Churches
The first St Anne's Church was built in 1837-8 to the design of John Child. It was fitted with a clock and may well have contained a bell. It became the Cathedral for the newly formed Diocese of Leeds in 1878. The new St Anne's Cathedral was built to the designs of J H Eastwood between 1902 and 1904. The site of the old cathedral was needed for road widening schemes.
The new cathedral had a single bell which did service until 1980 when the ring of eight were transferred from the redundant, and now demolished, church of St Francis of Assisi in Holbeck. The single bell was transferred to St Robert's Roman Catholic Church in Harrogate.
The Holbeck bells had originally been cast by Murphy of Dublin but were recast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1952.
|1||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||3-0-9||A flat|
|2||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||3-0-13||G|
|3||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||3-2-7||F|
|4||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||4-0-5||E flat|
|5||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||4-1-4||D flat|
|6||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||5-0-11||C|
|7||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||6-1-26||B flat|
|8||John Taylor of Loughborough||1952||9-1-4||A flat|
Frame and Fittings
The bells are complete with Taylor fittings from 1952. The frame is a mixture of H sides and low sides having been adapted from a two tier arrangement when at Holbeck. Eayre and Smith were responsible for the work carried out in transferring the bells in 1980.
There is no tower clock in the new building.
Images of Leeds 1850-1960 - Peter Brears Breedon Books 1992
Visit and references