The Bells of the Diocese
Ripon and Leeds
This website will include details of all the bells in the Church of England Diocese of Ripon and Leeds as well as bells in other buildings that fall within the geographical boundaries of the diocese.
It is based on the research of the late Ranald Clouston who surveyed much of the old North Riding, George Dawson (GAD) who has searched Taylor's records extensively, and Andrew Aspland (ARA) who has put together the beginnings of this website and carried out field work principally in the Leeds and Harrogate areas and who has taken most of the photographs. J Eyre Poppleton (Poppleton) carried out a survey of bells in the ancient churches of the West Riding at the end of the nineteenth century. Details of his discoveries are included where possible. It must be noted that he does not always number the bells from treble to tenor and therefore the inscriptions were not always ascribed to the correct bell. He made plaster casts of several bellfounders' marks and these were photographed to produce the plates for his work.
R V Taylor (RVT) compiled much information about Leeds churches in his Ecclesiae Leodiensis in 1875. This included considerable detail about the work done to churches in the nineteenth century - unfortunately his work only covers the first half of the alphabet and the proposed volume two was not published.
The diocese is organised into two Archdeaconries and both of these are subdivided into four Deaneries.
Archdeaconry of Richmond
Archdeaconry of Leeds
|Deanery of Richmond||Deanery of Allerton|
|Deanery of Wensley||Deanery of Headingley|
|Deanery of Ripon||Deanery of Whitkirk|
|Deanery of Harrogate||Deanery of Armley|
|Other Churches||Secular Buildings||Lost Churches|
|Redundant, Roman Catholic, URC etc.||Schools, Town Halls etc.||Demolished|
Alphabetical Index of Location
Bell Founders' Marks